Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Canon EOS 350D (Digital Rebel XT) digital camera

I have been planing on getting a new digital camera for about a year and had my eyes on getting a Canon 300D. Early last month I was finally going one and started looking around for deals. I went over to dpreview.com to read up on the 300D and noticed above it there was a link for a 350D (which had just been announced), but which was not yet released. So after months of waiting I decided it would be better to wait a few weeks for the 350D to be released. A bit of a downer after getting all excited about finally getting new camera. Most stores were not selling the 350D until the release date, but I found a teenager at my local best buy was happy to sell it. I have been using it for about a month and I have a few minor nitpicks, but otherwise am very happy with the camera.



dpreview.com's Canon EOS 350D review

Nitpicks
When looking into the center of the viewfinder you don't actually see all of the image that is captured. If you photographed something that was right up to what you see as the edge, the image will in fact capture a little extra all around. If you look from the top you can see the extra on the bottom and vice versa. When trying to fill the image with a subject this can be annoying.

Although it uses a CF slot and USB2 the USB connection is the usb-picture junk. I would have preferred it just show up as mass storage device. This was further confirmed as being an annoyance as I have been using gtkam to extract my images. This program ... well sucks. If you delete a file you have to restart the application. Turn the camera off/on, you have to restart. Don't refresh the view, restart the app. I don't have any faith that it can perform more then one action. Also double check that it actually saves your images to the hard drive because once it didn't and I deleted them of the camera before checking! I do *not* recommend using this program. It frequently segfaults and the fact that it made me loose my photos will most likely mean that I will never trust it again. Pick up a usb/cf adaptor.

The images are stored in numbered directories. The images themselves are just numbered sequentually. So you would have dcim/100/img_100.jpg Once you read 199 then it makes a new directory and put the images in there. A much better method was what my old Casio did (from three years ago) where the directories were the current date and the image's contained the date. For example you would have dcim/42705/42705_001.jpg If you took 999 photos in one day it would make a the directory 42705_2. It was very simple and best of all when I would finally get around to putting the images on my computer because typically I would only photograph one event a day all of my images were pre-sorted and named something nice. That is prefured to having all the photos from a week long trip in one directory named 1-79. You are forced to manually sort them. And a year down the line it is not handy seeing a random photo named IMG_22.jpg and wondering what year it was taken. There was really no configuration options for the file names so I created a quick script which will grab the date from the exif information and rename the files into the following format: "2005.04.27_001.jpg". Feel free to re-use it on your images that your digital camera produces.

#!/bin/bash
count=1;
for file in `ls -1 *.jpg *.JPG *.jpeg`; do
date=`exif.py $file 2> /dev/null | grep DateTime: | awk -F" " '{ print $3 }' | sed s/ASCII=//g | sed s/:/./g`
newfile=$date"_"`expr $count + 1000 | sed s/^1//g`;
mv -i $file ${newfile}.jpg;
let count=$count+1;
done

No comments:

Popular Posts